Classes and Events
A brief note about masks and groups/classes:
The mask mandate in PA has been lifted. However, if you are uncomfortable mask-less, that's fine! Wearing a mask is acceptable here, especially if you're unvaccinated, immunocompromised, or care for someone who is.
If you have recently been exposed to, or have visited somewhere with higher rates of Covid, please take all the necessary precautions, including staying home.
Also, if you are unwell, please consider staying home or masking up, if it's not terribly serious. We'll miss you, but nobody wants cooties. ;)
Your cooperation helps keep your LYS (local yarn shop) a physically safe space.
Yes, we have groups! Call them whatever you like - bees, circles, or groups - our Stitch and Bitch's are open to all stitchers. Bring your project and a positive attitude. We meet twice a week:
* * * * * * *
(New!) WTH Wednesday: The last Wednesday of the month. 5 pm - 7pm. $10 suggested fee. Pattern got you stumped? Have a mistake you can’t seem to figure out? Need some guidance or have questions? Bring your problem project and we’ll try to help (The fee is suggested ‘cause we aren’t making any promises. It’s likely we’ll be able to help, but we won’t know until that night.) 👍😏 The next few dates are: July 28th, Aug. 25th, Sept. 29th.
We also host a monthly Spin-In and Weaving Group on the FOURTH SUNDAY of the month from 1 pm - 5 pm.
As the name implies, this is a group for spinners and weaver! We are also open on these Sundays, so fiber friends of all sorts are welcome to stop in and join the fun. Bring your wheel, spindles, or portable loom, and get some work done while visiting with other yarn junkies.
The next few Spin-In/Weaving groups dates are: July 25th, August 22nd, September 26th.
Classes & Events
Please pay attention to any prerequisites, they're there for your benefit. Time is valuable, and we don't want to take up yours by covering techniques/skills that are foundational for the subject of the class (i.e. knitting in the round at a sock class).
To register for a class, simply call or visit the shop.
Registration closes at noon the business day prior to class.
It is the learner's responsibility to show up for the class/workshop. We do NOT provide reminder calls/texts. No refunds for missed classes.
Class sizes are limited.
(C) = Crochet; (E) = Event; (F) = Felting; (K) = Knit; (S) = Spin; (W) = Weave
- (E) Holidaze Headstart & Harmony's Christmas in July - Thurs. July 22nd - Sun. July 25th. Harmony is celebrating, again. Many of the shops are offering specials, there will be additional vendors, musicians, and possibly even a visit from Santa?! Here at Darn Yarn, we'll be open our regular hours Thurs - Sat, and Sunday from 1 pm - 5 pm to help everyone get a start on that hand-made gift list:
- Clearance items will be 50% off (regularly 40%)
- Print (books, mags, serials, patterns), needles and hooks will be 15% off
- Select shop samples will be on sale (prices vary)
- Darn Yarn totes and in stock T's will be 20% off - totes $39/ T's $16
- (K) Knitting in the Round: Fri. 8/6 (using circulars), 8/13 (magic loop/two circulars), 8/20 (DPNs) @ 1 pm. $25 all 3 sessions or $10 each. Registration required. Must already know how to knit. Knitting in the round is a basic skill that’s easy to master but boggles many of us the first few times. It’s useful for basically anything that requires making a tube of some kind. In this series we’ll cover the many different ways you can work in the round. This is not a project based class. We decided it would be easier if the students didn’t have to worry about a pattern AND learn a new skill that often leaves us feeling like we’re all thumbs. Please bring DK or Worsted weight yarn, scraps are ok, and US 5 - 7(for DK yarn) or US 7 - 9 (for worsted) as follows: 16 “ or 24” circulars (8/6 class); 2 pair of circulars of same needle size, one should be at least 32” or 40” (8/13); and DPNs (8/20). If that’s all gibberish, don’t panic, we can help make sense of it all.
- (C) Learn to Crochet: Wed. 8/11 & 8/18 @ 6pm. $30. Registration required. Learn the basics of crochet in this two week crash course. It’s up to you to practice, practice, practice. We’ll cover the basic stitches, reading patterns, yarns and tools. Fee includes a ball of yarn and hook.
- (K) Learn to Knit: Wed. 9/8 & 9/15 @ 6 pm. $30. Registration required. Learn the basics of knitting in this 2-week crash course. It’s up to you to practice, practice, practice. We’ll cover the two basic stitches (knit and purl), starting and stopping (cast-on, bind off), basic pattern reading, yarn, tools, and terminology. Fee includes a ball of yarn and pair of needles. If bringing your own, please bring worsted weight and US8 or 9 knitting needles.